How to Check Debit Card Balance
A stey-by-step guide to check debit card balance
- Debit cards help initiate transactions and check bank balance
- You can check debit card balance online and offline
- You can use mobile, internet, and SMS banking to check your balance instantly
- You can also dial the customer service number of your bank or visit its ATM to know the balance
- Knowing the exact debit card balance helps you keep a tab on your expenses
There used to be a time when checking bank balance was a tedious task. The only way one could know about the balances was visiting the bank and getting the passbook updated. But today, these practices are long forgotten. Now you can check the balances in your bank accounts and cards instantly. Moreover, you can use several platforms. Let us find out how to check debit card balance in this article.
Debit card and the connection to bank accounts
As such, when you check your debit card balances, you are essentially checking the balances in your bank account. A basic way to check your balance is to initiate a transaction at a retail store or online. You get an instant notification informing you of the transaction and the balance amount in your account, making it an indirect way to check your balance. The other ways to check debit card balance include:
You can visit your nearest ATM of your bank and follow these steps:
- Insert the ATM card in the designated slot.
- Choose your preferred language
- Select your account type, enter your PIN and select the balance enquiry option
- The machine will display the balance on its screen
Usually, when you open a bank account, you also get a kit featuring your internet banking login ID and password. You can reset your default password and set up the account, after which you can use it to conduct transactions and check balances.
- Visit the website of the bank and select the net banking option.
- Log in with your ID and password.
- You can see the account balance displayed on the homepage.
In the case of multiple accounts, you can select the account linked to a particular debit card to check the balance of the relevant account.
Mobile banking app
Yet another way to check debit card balance is via your mobile banking app. Here are the steps:
- Download the mobile app of your bank
- Log in using your mPIN or biometrics, i.e., the unique fingerprint technology available on mobile phones.
- Go to ‘My savings account’ or ‘mPassbook’.
- View your balance.
For multiple accounts, select the one you want to check.
SMS banking and missed call facility
SMS banking services make it easy for you to check your debit card balance. You can request the account balance by sending an SMS with the appropriate words such as BAL [ACCOUNT NUMBER] to the designated numbers provided by the bank. Your bank will inform you of the balance through an SMS.
You may also place a missed call to a specific mobile number of the bank from your registered mobile number. You will receive an SMS containing details of your debit card balance within seconds.
It is effortless and convenient to check debit card balance, no matter where you are. You can use any of the methods explained above anytime to keep a tab on your bank balance. You can also create your monthly budgets and plan your expenses accordingly, thanks to the power of the internet.
*Disclaimer: This article is for information only. We recommend you get in touch with your income tax advisor or CA for expert advice.