How to apply for Debit Card Online?
Learn how to apply for new Debit Card with our step-wise guide.
- Debit cards offer ease of use and convenience, enabling cashless transactions.
- You get a free debit card when you open an account with a bank.
- You can apply for a debit card online if your card expires or if you wish to place an order for a new one.
- You can also visit your bank branch to apply for a debit card.
- Banks deliver debit cards at your doorsteps within 2-3 days of application.
Most of us are now accustomed to using debit cards. They offer ease of use and enable cashless transactions. Debit cards reduce the need to carry cash all the time while allowing you to access funds in your bank account at any time. Essentially, the debit card is linked to your bank account, and each time you swipe it, funds are automatically debited from your account and transferred to the payee's account. Of the many benefits you get with debit cards, a prominent one includes applying for the card online through your net banking account. Find out how to apply for a debit card online in this article.
How to apply for a debit card?
Typically, your bank provides a debit card when you open an account. However, if you wish to avail of an additional debit card or apply for a replacement one, you can apply for the card online. Here are the steps on how to apply for a new debit card.
- Visit the official website of the bank with which you have your account.
- Go to the personal/retail banking section on the website and choose the 'apply for a debit card option.
- Choose from a wide range of debit cards, basing your decision on the benefits you wish to avail and requirements you need to be fulfilled from the card, e.g., high daily withdrawal limits, airport lounge access, reward points on shopping, etc.
- Fill the online application form and confirm your details, such as the name you want to be embossed on the card, your address and your bank account information, among other things.
- Submit the required documents to complete the e-KYC formality – PAN, ID and address proof documents, checking the accepted list of documents mentioned on the application form.
- Upload the form and your documents to complete the application process.
The bank will send you a notification upon receiving your application.
Post online application – Time is taken to receive the debit card
Most banks typically start the process of printing and sending your debit card at the earliest. It generally takes 2-7 days from the date of application, irrespective of whether you placed your request online or offline. Note that you will mostly receive your debit card PIN (personal identification number) in a separate consignment as a security measure.
Debit cards have simplified banking and eased payments. In most cases, you need not apply for a card unless you wish to change your existing card or apply for an add-on card. For instance, if you want to use a debit card abroad, you may need a Master or Visa card as Rupay cards are not accepted abroad. Applying for the card is incredibly easy, and the process is streamlined further with your internet banking account.
Happy shopping with the digibank by DBS debit card! Download the app to open your digiSavings account instantly and get your debit card!
*Disclaimer: This article is for information only. We recommend you get in touch with your income tax advisor or CA for expert advice.