How to get UAN Number
Find out how to know UAN number
- UAN stands for Universal Account Number.
- UAN is a 12-digit unique identification number that allows you to access your EPF Account.
- Your employer has your UAN details, and you can ask them for the Universal Account Number.
- You can get your UAN number from the UAN or EPFO Portal.
- You may be required to submit a few documents to your employer to generate your UAN.
When you start a new job, most employers in India open an Employee Provident Fund (EPF) Account for you in which they deposit a percentage of your salary for savings. The employer also creates a Universal Account Number (UAN) for your EPF account. The UAN helps you keep an eye on the amount of money deposited in the account and occasionally withdraw or transfer funds without employer intervention. But do you know how to get UAN number? Find out the different ways to do so in this article.
How To Find UAN Number
From Your Employer
If you have newly joined a company, your employer will ideally provide you with your Universal Account Number upon opening your salary account. If you do not get the same, you can consult someone from the Human Resources or Finance department in the company and ask for the UAN. You can also find the UAN number on the salary slips, which also mentions the sums deducted for monthly PF contributions.
From UAN Online Portals
Below are the steps on how to know UAN number online
- Visit the UAN Portal and click on ‘Know Your UAN Status.
- Enter the relevant details like your Aadhaar number, PAN, etc. You can ask your employer for your PF number/member ID and fill in the form displayed on the screen.
- If you know the PF number/member ID, select your state and the Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) office from the dropdown.
- If you decide to use your Aadhaar card to get the UAN, enter those details.
- Now, enter your name, date of birth, mobile number, along with the captcha code and click on ‘Get Authorization PIN’.
- You receive a PIN on your registered mobile number provided at the time of application.
- After you enter the PIN on the screen, click on ‘Validate OTP’.
- You can now view the UAN button, which you can click on, to get the UAN on your mobile number via SMS.
UAN Number Generation
When you first start working, your employer will ask you to submit a few documents to generate your UAN. Generating the UAN is a one-time process, and the Universal Account Number remains unchanged throughout your employment years. The documents required to generate UAN are as follows:
- Bank Account Details: Bank Account Number, Bank Branch, IFSC Code
- Proof of Identity: Aadhaar Card/Driving License/Passport/Voter ID
- Proof of Residence: Electricity Bill/Telephone Bill/Rent Agreement/Ration Card/
- PAN Card
- Aadhaar Card
We hope this article answers your query on how to know my UAN number. Your UAN number is a unique 12-digit number that lets you access your EPF account any time you want. Using this single platform, you can withdraw or transfer your PF balance any time you wish. While employers help you open the account, they may not intervene or have any say on how you manage the account.
Are you looking for a smart mobile banking app? Download digibank by DBS and explore a world of banking facilities in a few swipes.
*Disclaimer: This article is for information purposes only. We recommend you get in touch with your income tax advisor or CA for expert advice.