How To Write Bank Account Name Change Application?
A detailed account of the process for Bank Account Name Change
- Changing your name is a 3-step legal process.
- You have to write an application to the bank to change your name on your bank account.
- You must provide relevant documents supporting the name change.
- You can also have your name changed on passbooks, cheque books, debit cards etc.
- You can change your name for various reasons like marriage, change in spelling, etc.
Miss Sheena Melvin Das recently got married. Upon becoming a Missus, she decided to honour her husband by taking his last name. She decided to change her name to Sheena Raymond Diaz. She needed to ensure all her documents legally had her new name, including her bank accounts. Like Ms. Das, you too may want to change your name for a legit reason. This article highlights a few reasons why one may wish to change their name, how they can go about it and how they can update their changed name with their banks.
Most Likely Reasons You Would Want a Name Change
- Changing First and/or Last Name after marriage.
- Changing Name after Divorce
- Combining Two Last Names after marriage
- Changing name for various other reasons (religious, numerological, personal etc.)
3-Step Process to Change Your Name Legally
Before changing your name in the bank or your identity proofs, e.g., PAN card, Aadhar Card or Driving License etc., you need to change your name legally. It is a 3-step process involving notarised Affidavit, Newspaper Advertisement and Gazette Notification.
- You must sign an affidavit on the suggested stamp paper stating your reason for the name change along with your new name, and the affidavit should be notarised.
- Publish an advertisement in two local newspapers, informing about the name change. You must also get your name published in your state gazette by submitting the relevant forms and newspaper publications.
- You will receive copies of the Gazette on which the name change notification has been published.
Only after legally changing your name can you apply for a name change in banks and other institutions.
Steps to Change Your Bank Account Name
You must present a signed written application to the bank. You can refer to the following sample letter.
The Branch Manager
(Bank name, address)
Subject: Application for Changing the Name of the Bank Account.
I, (your name), hold a bank account with account number (your bank account number), in your branch (your current branch). I have legally changed my name and would like to update the new name in my bank account. A copy of the notarised affidavit, gazette notification and newspaper publications are enclosed for your reference.
Kindly do the needful at the earliest.
(Name and Signature)
- Attach the Notarised Name Change Affidavit, Gazette Notification, Marriage Certificate (in case of name change after marriage) and copies of Newspaper Publications.
- After your application is verified and acknowledged, the bank will initiate the process to change your name in its system.
- Once this process is completed, the bank will notify you via SMS or email.
- You can apply for your new name to be printed on the passbooks, cheque books, debit cards, credit cards etc., as well.
If you change your name, you must follow the above process. Only after you change your name legally can you apply to change it in your bank accounts. You can send your bank account name change application online as well as by visiting your bank branch.
With the digibank by DBS app, you can open a new savings account in a few minutes! Download the app to get started.
*Disclaimer: This article is for information purposes only. We recommend you get in touch with your income tax advisor or CA for expert advice.