RTGS Timings and RTGS Limit Per Day
All You Need To Know about RTGS transfer limits and time taken to complete transfers
- RTGS is a popular method of high-value fund transfers.
- You can initiate RTGS transactions 24x7.
- Instructions for each transaction are processed individually.
- The minimum limit of RTGS transfers is INR 200,000, while there is no maximum limit.
- RTGS is faster than NEFT.
Short for Real-Time Gross Settlement, RTGS is a fund transfer method that enables you to conduct high-value transactions safely and seamlessly. RTGS has become one of India’s most preferred modes of transactions, especially among retail and corporate customers, since there is no limit on the maximum amount transferable. Unlike NEFT, where fund transfers are conducted in batches, RTGS transactions are processed in real-time. Banks process transfer instructions as soon as they receive them. As such, the settlement takes place on an instruction-to-instruction basis. Let us find out all about RTGS and initiate a transaction and RTGS limits in this article.
How to do an RTGS transaction?
You can conduct RTGS transactions using the internet banking facility or by visiting your bank branch.
Here is a step-by-step guide on transferring funds online via RTGS:
- Log into your net banking account and add details of your beneficiary, including their name on the account, account number, bank IFSC code and contact number.
- Choose RTGS under ‘Funds Transfer’ options
- Select the beneficiary in your payee list
- Enter the amount that you wish to transfer
- Review all the details and submit the fund transfer request
- Funds are transferred by the remitting bank and credited to the beneficiary within 30 minutes of an RTGS request.
What are the minimum and maximum transfer limits for RTGS?
The prescribed minimum limit for RTGS fund transfer is INR 200,000. There is no maximum ceiling for RTGS transactions done through bank branches.
Some banks may set an upper limit for RTGS transfer via Net banking for retail customers.
The absence of an upper fund transfer limit with RTGS makes a preferred mode of payment for business owners and corporate houses. The flexibility of RTGS helps such entities conduct quick and seamless high-value transactions, which prove to be a great boon for their business operations.
What are the timings of RTGS transactions?
Earlier, RTGS transactions were permitted between 7.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. on all working days. However, in December 2020, the Reserve Bank of India modified the RTGS time limit policy and made the facility available 24x7, 365 days a year. As such, you can now initiate RTGS transactions at any time of the day without worrying about RTGS time limits.
RTGS is an easy and secure mode of fund transaction. You can use this facility at any time via your internet-banking enabled bank accounts. As there is no RTGS maximum limit, you can transfer funds between accounts swiftly and conveniently.
Are you looking for an intelligent mobile banking app? Download digibank by DBS and explore a world of banking facilities in a few swipes and open your savings account with us.
*Disclaimer: This article is for information purposes only. We recommend you get in touch with your income tax advisor or CA for expert advice.