Documents Required to Apply for a PAN Card for an NRI
22 Mar 2021

Documents Required to Apply for a PAN Card for an NRI

Join DBS Treasures

Reading Time: 3 Minutes

Key Takeaways: While you live outside India, you may still want to buy a property or invest in mutual funds in India. To be able to do either of these, you will need a PAN card. Let us look at why you need to have a PAN card in India and the documents you will require to apply for a PAN card.


A PAN (Permanent Account Number) card is an alphanumeric identifier with ten characters. The Indian Income Tax Department issues this card. If you are an existing taxpayer and want to file a return of income in India or buy a house or even invest in India, a PAN card is mandatory. Another point to note, you cannot hold more than one PAN card in India.[1]

PAN Card Application for an NRI

If you have a source of income in India, you will need a PAN to file your taxes, even if you live abroad. This income could be generated by renting out real estate, receiving dividends from shares, getting returns from mutual funds, or a business in India. Even if you do not have an income source in India right now, it still helps to have a PAN card if you decide to perhaps invest in India in any way.

Documents Required for Applying for a PAN Card[2]

Completing a PAN application for an NRI is a relatively simple and straightforward process. To get started, here is a list of the necessary documents required for an NRI PAN card:

  1. Two recent passport-sized photographs
  2. A copy of your passport
  3. A copy of your PIO or OCI card
  4. An overseas address proof
  5. A copy of your overseas bank statement

Steps to Apply for a PAN Card for NRIs

The entire PAN application process is simple, convenient and seamless. Any eligible NRI can apply at the click of a button. Here are the steps to apply for a PAN online:

  1. Log on to the official website of TIN-NSDL to start the application process.
  2. Fill out Form 49A, furnishing the required information in the form.
  3. Upload your photograph, address, ID and age proofs.
  4. Pay the fees.
  5. Use the acknowledgement to track your application’s status.

Foreign Citizens Applying for PAN

Even if you are a foreign citizen who wants to apply for a PAN card in India, you will have to start by filling out the form. You can visit the TIN-NSDL website and fill out form 49AA. Individuals who have foreign nationalities, OCI holders and PIOs need to use this form to get a PAN Card.

In both instances, you will have to mention your residential address if they do not have one in India, you can provide the address where you are staying currently. You will also have to indicate your communication address on the form.

If you’re a foreign citizen applying for a PAN card with an Indian office address, you need to provide the following documents as proof for the office address.

  1. Copy of appointment letter/contract from the Indian company
  2. Applicant’s certificate of address in India in original issued by an authorised signatory of the applicant’s employer. This certificate should be on the employer’s letterhead, and it should contain the PAN of the employer.
  3. A copy of the PAN card, which is detailed in the employer’s certificate. It may be noted that the PAN of the employer, as mentioned in the employer’s certificate, will be verified online before processing the application.

Holding More than One PAN Card[2]

As per the income tax laws, you can have only one PAN card per person. You can surrender a duplicate PAN allotment by filling out and submitting a PAN Change/Correction Request form.

Final Note: A PAN card is a mandatory document for income tax filing and investments in India. It is even necessary if you want to open an NRO or NRE account. Applying for a PAN card is easy; however, it helps to keep your documents ready to upload.

Start investing in India even if you are miles away from home. Join DBS Treasures

References: 1 2

*This article is for information only. We recommend you get in touch with your income tax advisor or CA for expert advice.