NRI Aadhaar Card: The Only Guide You Need
Reading Time: 3 Minutes
Aadhaar is the most widely accepted ID and address proof documents in India. As an NRI, you too can apply for Aadhaar and provide this document while opening domestic bank accounts, renting properties, applying for jobs, and more. Find out the importance and process of obtaining Aadhaar cards for NRIs in this article.
For Indian citizens, the Aadhaar Card is one of the most crucial documents. It is an ID, age, and address-proof document that is widely accepted everywhere. Issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), Aadhaar is a 12 digit individual identification number, which is largely considered the Indian equivalent of the Social Security Number or SSN in the USA. Essentially, the Government of India mandates that cardholders link their Aadhaar card to their bank accounts and PAN card. As an NRI, if you decide to stay in India for a longer time, you will find that this card can prove incredibly useful. So we have created this ultimate guide on Aadhaar for NRIs. Read on to know more.
Importance of Aadhaar Card for Non-Resident Indians
As a Non-Resident Indian, you may need to provide your proof of identification at different places while in India. You may need it when you want to rent a property, open a local bank account with a resident Indian, or even if you wish to apply for jobs in the government sector. Also, while opening bank accounts, Demat accounts, or applying for credit cards, you may need to undergo a KYC check, and Aadhaar assists in completely the KYC process quickly. With Aadhaar, you can speed up investments and financial transactions within India and file your tax returns without hassles.
For safe and seamless online investments in India, choose Asia's safest bank.
Aadhaar Card for NRIs - Eligibility Criteria
As an NRI residing in India, you can apply for Aadhaar if
- You have a valid Indian Passport
- If you have a foreign passport but intend to stay in India for an extended period
- If you are above the age of 18 years
Aadhaar Card for NRIs - Documents Required
You need to provide the following documents while applying for an Aadhaar card.
Proof of Identity
An identity proof document features your photograph on it. You may provide any one of the following as a valid ID proof document.
- PAN Card
- Driver’s license
- Voter’s ID card
- ID card provided by your company in India
Proof of Address
You also need to provide proof of your local address in India. Accepted documents include:
- Electricity bills
- Telephone (landline) bills
- Gas connection bills
- Notarised rental agreement
You may also submit any ID proof document with your address mentioned on it; your driver’s license, for instance.
Proof of Age
You must provide valid age proof documents. Accepted documents include:
- Birth certificate
- Class 10th mark sheet
- School leaving certificate
Document establishing your NRI status
While issuing NRI Aadhaar cards, UIDAI insists that applicants supply a document that establishes their relationship with another country. As such, you have to provide:
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your foreign residency visa/ permanent residency status
Aadhaar Card for NRIs – The Application Process
NRIs must follow the same process as resident Indians to obtain the Aadhaar card. Here is what you need to do:
- Download the Aadhaar enrolment form from the UIDAI website or obtain it from the nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra in your city.
- Duly fill the form and attach photocopies of the necessary documents mentioned in the form.
- Visit the Aadhaar Seva Kendra to complete the enrolment with your original documents for authentication.
- Complete the biometric scanning process (iris and finger-tips)
- An Aadhaar representative will take your photograph through a webcam
Once you complete the above steps, the Aadhaar representative will provide you an acknowledgment receipt, with which you can track your Aadhaar application status. It typically takes 90 days for you to receive the card via India Post.
Aadhaar Enrolment Process for Children of NRIs
As a parent or guardian of a minor, you need to provide the following to enroll your children for Aadhaar:
- Parents/ guardians must authenticate the identity of children under the age of 5 years and fill a form, giving consent to their enrolments. They must also consent to enroll their children in the 5-18 years age bracket.
- They must submit a valid Indian passport as ID proof if the child is an NRI.
- They must also submit a proof of relationship document (e.g., their birth certificate) if the child is an Indian resident.
Read the detailed documentation list for Aadhaar cards for minors here.
Earlier, NRIs had to wait for 180 days before enrolling for Aadhaar. However, in Budget 2019, the finance minister amended the requirement, thus enabling NRIs to register for Aadhaar without the 180 days waiting period. Like Resident Indians, all other residents, including NRIs, are encouraged to enroll for Aadhaar. The only people exempted from registering for Aadhaar are NRIs from certain countries in the Middle East.
DBS Treasures offers a comprehensive suite of investment products for NRIs to invest in India. Know more.
*Disclaimer: This article is published purely from an information perspective and it should not be deduced that the offering is available from DBS Bank India Limited or in partnership with any of its channel partners.
The purpose of this blog is not to provide advice but to provide information. Sound professional advice should be taken before making any investment decisions. The bank will not be responsible for any tax loss/other loss suffered by a person acting on the above.