Social Enterprise (SE) Spotlight
Six years ago, our founders, Sid and Jay started noticing the use of eye-tracking software on advertisement analysis and assistive technology. While they were intrigued by the advancements of technology, they also noticed a huge gap in Taiwan where severely disabled patients did not have eye-tracking applications in Chinese language to help them interact with the outside world, rehabilitate and learn.
To fill that void, Sense Innovation was founded in 2015 by Sid and Jay to provide eye-tracking assistive technology to the severely disabled. Today, our core team is made up of our two founders, Stanley and I, Penny. Sense Innovation’s technology assists the severely disabled in training their cognitive ability, autonomous communication and professional skills. We are committed to providing equal education for the severely disabled by creating the first eye-tracking online learning platform.
The core team behind Sense Innovation:From left; Jay (CTO), Penny (COO), Stanley (COO Asia Pacific) and Sid CEO.
The work we do
Sense Innovation specialises in using eye-tracking assistive technology to empower persons with severe disabilities to live like anyone else. We currently have five products − EyePlayer, 1246 Cognitive Learning, 1246 Communication, EyeJoy and SenseTalk to support persons with severe disabilities holistically. These products range from computer control and communication, educational training, and medical training.
- EyePlayer assists people with disabilities with learning, job hunting, self-expression, and other daily needs like surfing the internet and learning how to use office programmes.
- 1246 Cognitive Learning enables users and their caregivers to communicate with each other. Instructors can tap on a wide array of recourses to guide and improve the patient’s learning and speech-language ability through real life object recognition, visual discrimination, and attention strengthening on this platform.
- 1246 Doctor-Patient Communication serves as a communication platform using eye-tracking technology for the user to gaze at the screen and convey their needs.
- EyeJoy is an interactive game targeted for kids to retain their attention as they learn to control the screen with their eyes and strengthen their recollection skills.
- SenseTalk enables physical disabled patients to communicate by gazing the flash cards on the interface. Teachers and speech therapists can leverage this platform to help patients string a sentence together.
In addition to creating an active eco-system of eye-tracking technology for the disabled, our products also benefit special-needs schools, hospitals and introduces more effective ways for therapists to teach and engage with the special-needs group they serve, thereby improving the overall quality of care they give.
We aim to empower persons with severe disabilities to live like anyone else. With our products, persons with severe disabilities are equipped to learn, interact and communicate with others,” - Penny
Our key beneficiaries are people with severe disabilities and caretakers, therapists and teachers who look after them. To date we have helped,
- 800 special needs children gain the right to learn.
- 300 adults with physical disability gain the ability to live independently.
- 500 elderly patients with physical/verbal disability communicate with their family/doctors.
How we partner with DBS Foundation
Sense Innovation is a 2020 DBS Foundation grant awardee. Our grant will be used to build Sense AEye − the first online educational platform that integrates course materials with eye-tracking technology. Some of our courses in Sense AEye include visual conception training, cognitive learning, vocational training, computer control and doctor-patient communication. The launch of Sense AEye is an important milestone for us to step into the wider market and it will benefit early intervention and school-aged children, adults and elderly patients. We believe that Sense AEye will be a useful tool for caretakers, therapists and teachers to rehabilitate persons with severe disabilities in a more effective way.
Get to know us better here!
Previously Featured Social Enterprises
Find out how food waste is upcycled into agricultural feed here!
Find out how GreenPrice reduces waste from landfills and promotes a sustainable lifestyle here!
Find out how Sense Innovation empowers people with disabilities through eye-tracking technology here!
Find out how Komerce enables village youths to secure e-commerce jobs without leaving their home here!