DBS launches digibank, an entire bank in the phone, in Indonesia
Groundbreaking proposition is aimed at large digitally-savvy population in Asia’s third-most populous nation
Marks a new era in banking that is paperless and signatureless
SINGAPORE,INDONESIA,29 August 2017 -
DBS Bank, a leading bank in Asia, today officially unveiled digibank by DBS (digibank), a groundbreaking mobile-led bank, in Indonesia. A revolutionary offering, digibank is paperless and signatureless, and brings together an entire suite of innovative technology – from biometrics to artificial intelligence (AI) – to enable customers to enjoy a whole new way of banking.
The Iaunch follows the successful rollout of digibank in India in April last year, which has enabled DBS to penetrate India’s retail banking market with about 1.5 million new customers acquired to date.
Indonesia’s Minister of Communication and Information Technology Rudiantara congratulated DBS on its innovations at the digibank launch. He also said that the government foresees that Indonesia’s digital economy will reach USD 130 billion, or about 12% of Indonesia's GDP, in 2020. With Indonesia's economy shifting from a commodity-led to service-based one, this will encourage the rise of the digital economy in the country.
According to the Asosiasi Penyelenggara Jasa Internet Indonesia (APJII) survey, Internet users in Indonesia make up 132.7 million or 51.8% of the total population. The We Are Social survey has found that around 91% of Indonesian citizens have a mobile phone and 47% of them own smartphones. Along with the growing Internet penetration, Indonesia Financial Authority Services (OJK) said that the number of customers using e-banking has increased from 13.6 million customers in 2012 to 54 million customers in 2016. The frequency of Internet banking transactions has also increased, from 150.8 million transactions in 2012 to 406.6 million transactions in 2016.
Said DBS Indonesia President Director Paulus Sutisna: “Over the past few years, Indonesia has seen a rapid growth in the number of Internet and smartphone users. Along with this, we’ve witnessed a change in customer behaviour and people increasingly want a simple, fast and effortless way to bank. As a bank that is committed to shaping the future of banking, we’re excited to introduce digibank in Indonesia, giving customers the ability to bank anytime, anywhere.”
With digibank Indonesia, customer will experience a seamless banking journey with these groundbreaking features:
• Biometric technology. Indonesia citizens who live in the Greater Jakarta area (Jakarta, Bogor, Depok, Tangerang, Bekasi) can open a digibank account anywhere at a time of their choosing. All they have to do is arrange to meet a digibank agent, who will assist them to do so using a biometric device on the spot. There is no paperwork involved. DBS has made this possible by leveraging E-KTP, Indonesia’s biometrics-enabled ID programme.
• Customer service provided by a 24x7 Artificial Intelligence-driven Virtual Assistant. Customers will be able to converse with digibank’s AI-powered virtual assistant to get their queries answered. They can simply type or say “What is my account balance?” or “Please show me my five latest transactions”, and the Virtual Assistant will assist. This is akin to having a banker at one’s beck and call, without having to speak to a call centre agent.
• An intelligent financial planning and monitoring feature that helps customers be smarter about their money. People often lose track of their spending, especially during festive months, birthdays, graduations, and other occasions. With the digibank Spending Tracker feature, customers can easily plan their expenses while simultaneously monitoring their banking transactions made using their digibank debit card. In-built into digibank is a budget optimiser that helps customers do their budgeting, track expenses and analyse purchasing trends.
• Security that is enhanced through dynamic inbuilt security. Most banks’ customers are used to receiving One-Time Passwords (OTPs) via SMS, and then typing codes into pages to authorise their mobile banking transactions. Digibank has an embedded soft token security, avoiding the need to wait for SMSs to arrive and providing even stronger security for transaction authorisation. Soft token is a dynamic inbuilt security which is safer than OTP.
Not only does digibank provide hassle-free banking, its more efficient cost structure compared to brick-and-mortar banking allows it to offer better client value:
• 3% interest can be enjoyed by digibank customers from their first rupiah. Customers can open an account with no minimum balance and enjoy 3% interest.
• Easy transfer of funds to any bank and ATM cash withdrawal at no cost. Customers can transfer funds up to 200 million rupiah per transaction and up to 500 million rupiah per day, as well as make cash withdrawals from any ATM (ALTO and ATM Bersama) without any administration fees.
• Account-holders earn up to 6.25% on deposits. Customers have plenty of flexibility with digibank. Starting with only five million rupiah of deposits, they can earn up to 6.25% interest.
Digibank customers also benefit from the regional connectivity that DBS offers. This includes the ability to make cash withdrawals in Singapore at any DBS and POSB ATM, without any fees. The ATM menu for these clients is in Bahasa. Digibank customers also get to enjoy promotion programmes in Singapore with their digibank debit card.
Said DBS CEO Piyush Gupta, “A few years ago, we would not have imagined that it would be possible to launch an entire bank in a mobile phone. With digibank, we’ve built a bank that pulls together the power of biometrics, natural language, artificial intelligence and in-built security in one offering. We believe this mobile-led offering represents the future of banking, and are excited to introduce this in Indonesia, a core market for us in Asia.”
Digibank by DBS is now available for download on AppStore or GooglePlay, with more information available at www.dbsdigibank.co.id
DBS’ efforts to be at the forefront of banking innovation have been widely recognised. Last year, the bank was recognised as “World’s Best Digital Bank” by Euromoney, Best in the World for Digital Distribution by Efma Accenture and “Best Retail Bank in Asia-Pacific” by The Asian Banker. It has also been named “Safest Bank in Asia” for eight consecutive years from 2009 – 2016
DBS is a leading financial services group in Asia, with over 280 branches across 18 markets. Headquartered and listed in Singapore, DBS has a growing presence in the three key Asian axes of growth: Greater China, Southeast Asia and South Asia. The bank's "AA-" and "Aa1" credit ratings, is among the highest in the world.
DBS is at the forefront of leveraging digital technology to shape the future of banking, and has been named “World’s Best Digital Bank
” by Euromoney. The bank has also been recognised for its leadership in the region, having been named “Asia’s Best Bank” by several publications including The Banker, Global Finance, IFR Asia and Euromoney since 2012. In addition, the bank has been named “Safest Bank in Asia
” by Global Finance for eight consecutive years from 2009 to 2016.
DBS provides a full range of services in consumer, SME and corporate banking. As a bank born and bred in Asia, DBS understands the intricacies of doing business in the region’s most dynamic markets. DBS is committed to building lasting relationships with customers, and positively impacting communities through supporting social enterprises, as it banks the Asian way. It has also established a SGD 50 million foundation to strengthen its corporate social responsibility efforts in Singapore and across Asia.
With its extensive network of operations in Asia and emphasis on engaging and empowering its staff, DBS presents exciting career opportunities. The bank acknowledges the passion, commitment and can-do spirit in all of our 22,000 staff, representing over 40 nationalities. For more information, please visit www.dbs.com
Back to News List